Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Broken Arms and Best Mommy Ever Awards

Jake is obsessed with fishing. That's right people....I married a real life red neck. He didn't used to be this "red necky" I place the blame on Duck Dynasty and Uncle Si! NAW....SHE GONE!

While away on one of his boys only fishing trips for the weekend, I decided to have a girls night with all of us ladies who husbands/fiancé's/boyfriends went on this trip. The tiny humans would have a big sleep over in Kenzie's room and watch movies all night and the rest of us were going to watch chick flicks down stairs with lots of yummy dips and fatty foods. Sounds like fun huh? WRONG

Kenzie and Natalie were upstairs playing, Maci was in her swing sleeping and I was in the kitchen cooking when all of the sudden I heard that heart dropping, stomach churning, blood curdling scream and then silence. I ran to the bottom of the stairs and yelled WHAT'S WRONG? Kenzie and Natalie both come running down the stairs while Kenzie is holding her arm and crying. She tells me that she was jumping off her laundry basket (tall wicker laundry basket) and landed on her arm. I told her to bend her arm, which she did and then I yelled at her and told her to lay on the couch and stop horsing around. I gave her an ice pack and turned a movie on for her to watch. She continued to cry on the couch and eventually woke up Maci. I turned around to yell again when I noticed that her entire body was shaking. I asked is she was cold and all she could get out was NO...MOMMY IT HURTS!

I then realized my child probably broke her arm. I called Lacie (who was at the store getting stuff for our girls night) explained what happened and told her to get to my house ASAP so I could take Kenzie to an Urgent Care. Once she got to my house probably 10 minutes later (felt like 5 hours...screaming Kenzie, screaming Maci and crying Natalie is a lot to take on all at once) I scooped up Kenzie threw her into my car and took off. Once we got there they took us right back and did x-rays. The x-ray showed that she broke her elbow and would need to be in a cast. Kenzie was so so brave the entire time and my Mother in law was a saint to meet me there and do all the hard parts like straightening Kenzie's arm out so they could get an x-ray. I had Kenzie on my lap and silently sobbed...Margie kept a straight face and did everything the tech asked her to do. The doctor came in and put a soft cast on and told us on Monday we needed to go to the Pediatric Orthopedic Doctor.

Side note....Jake was fishing where there was NO service. He didn't even know any of this happened til about 9:00 that night.

On Monday we went to the doctor and her arm was still to swollen to out a hard cast on so they told us to come back that Friday. Kenzie was a champ all week with being really careful not to move her arm around that much. On Friday, we went and she got a pink camo cast because camo is her cousin Caleb's favorite color and she wanted him to think her cast was cool. She also was very excited that she matched Uncle Cody who broke his foot the week earlier. She got tons of signatures and my uncle even had his wife and kids sign medical tape and sent it to her in the mail so they could be a part of signing her cast.

All in all, she had her soft cast on for a week and the hard cast for 3 weeks. Once that sucker came off I was so glad.

The award for BEST MOMMY EVER goes to.....KENDRA CORLEY...for yelling at her 5 year old right after she broke her arm! AHHHH..you win some and you loose some and that time I for sure LOST!





No comments: